You're sitting in Houston traffic, stuck behind a 1974 AMC Pacer that burns oil like a smoke bomb. Well, now you have a way to fight back. Through the State of Texas' Smoking Vehicle Program, you can reports these miscreants by dialing 1.880.456.SMOG or using an online form.
If you want to be a bit more active, you can follow these steps yourself:
- Carpool or ride the bus
- Bicycle to work
- Don't let your engine idle unnecessarily
- Drive smoothly -- avoid jack-rabbit starts/stops
- Plan ahead to combine trips
- Refuel your vehicle after dark
- Don't top off your tank
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated
- Keep your car or truck maintained
- Have your automobile inspected
Of course, these efforts are all worthwhile and commendable, but it strikes me as interesting that there is no similar mechanism available for reporting smoking refineries, of which there are no shortage here. Who says money doesn't buy political influence??